Iodinated seafood party together ignoring the scale

It’s half past three in the morning and I write this post while the book about use of iodized salt in bakery is printed. Infographics and tables I wrote about couple of weeks ago (Infographics Howto: Iodide! Iodate!) were used on the pages of this book. Some of them changed a bit, others changed a lot after discussions and specifications of charts targeting. Furthermore there happened to be two books not one as it was expected at the beginning. The second one is thinner about use of iodized salt in Denmark. I’ll write about changed charts at first and then I’ll describe the books makeup process.

Infographics

Some graphs wished to stay on certain places on the pages of the book so it would be easier to read them. Other graphs were disturbed with the fact they can visualize more information they visualized in the prior editions. More graphs just wanted to be even more handsome.

Culinary treatment impact on iodine contents in seafood (Fig. 1, page 8)
Usage of iodinated additives to impact iodine concentration in bakery (Fig. 2, page 23)
Impact of iodized salts on dough smearing (Fig. 3, page 30)

The long way I made selecting and composing the appearance of bars ended with simple solution. Though it looks obvious all prior steps were needed not just for this graph but also for other charts with bars in this books, including the first one described above.

Impact of iodized salts on gasification ability of the flour (Fig. 4, page 31)

As long as numbers are too close that would be to impossible with just scaling them to fit the page width. That’s why the bars have the parallel similar parts withdrawn so the difference is shown zoomed in. The skipped parts are properly marked.

Growth of the diameter with the lapse of time (Fig. 6, page 33; Fig. 7, page. 34; Fig. 9, page 36)

All three charts visualizing the growth of the diameters of colonies and mycelium with the lapse of time changed too. They now look less avant-garde while colour coding and captions are now more readable and obvious. I would send the prior edition to biennale while letting the second to find its mission in book.

Layout

Finished book in Russian is available for download in PDF (1,5 Mb). It is also available in miniature:

I start with the statement I was in a horrible rush and even though I tried my best to work on every line I’ve must have skipped something. I understand it’s not ok but I’ll try to live with that. I was in a lack of about a week and about a box of Portuguese vino verde ;)

I have a thing and a pony who helped me. Pony is bo, who edited the whole text way more readable than it was in source. The book is ‘Manual for Publisher and Author’ by Milchin and Chelcova.

Everything started with the grid which was then implemented in second book too.

Grid is flexible enough to work for one and two column layout (mouse over spreads to see the grid for them)

Grid works for one column layout with wide external margin and two column layout with equal margins. Two column layout is used particularly for appendix which is the separate document to show it is not part of the book text while it is part of the whole book.

Graphs and tables in both layouts are wider than text part. That makes reading more dynamic and pleasant. They are also placed after the text they illustrate to make reading more straightforward and one-directional.

Some tables were rotated 90° to make them more readable. The contents of table cells was aligned the way it would be easier to compare the data.

(Table 3, page 27)

I removed some obvious column headings to minimize redundant information.

There seemed to be a problem when I started working with appendix. As appendix is a separate document it has the separate page numbering. I spent and hour and a half to force Indesign to make it automatically but hand to place page numbers by hand ;) Appendix page numbering is placed on top of every page aligned to external edge.

Hint for Mac OS X users: you can use default application called Grapher (Applications › Utilities) to format mathematical formulas. After the formula is edited in Grapher copy it to the clipboard and paste as PDF to any application that supports that.

After I was to tired to even look at the book I made I started the creation of table of contents. As I worked with Indesign styles it was easy to compose TOC in couple of clicks but I wanted to use the whole spread and make something more creative.

I finished with way more traditional TOC so readers won’t be distracted starting from the third page.

The same decoration was used for appendix table of contents.

‘Dutch’ Book

This book in Ukrainian is also available for download (PDF, 706 Kb) and can be the fist for the eyes in miniature

The main problem with this book was insufficient number of pages that’s why one column is stretched on two column width. The tables don’t hang wasn’t so expressive but still dynamic.

Though the tables were more readable then in first book I still had to edit them.

(Table 3, page 10)

I united age groups with colour, made the left column more readable and changed the header so the table was easier to use.

It was a pity I had no source of the chart so I had to work with what I’ve got. To place make it more appealing and fit it into the layout.

(Chart 1, page 11)

I retrieved chart from PDF, made bars width equal and added marks on the left so the reader could estimate data concentration.

(Table 4, page 11)

One more long table was separated in two columns and it’s subheading was contrasted. Changes made table more readable and thus easy to use.

✖✖✖

I saved all the fils, sent them to publisher and didn’t look at them for a couple of days. And now, when I am not sick looking at them, at three thirty in the morning I finalized the story of book creation. Pretty, usable and readable book made out of not so clear for the reader sources.